Help us win PAID SICK DAYS for all!
Paid sick days save lives. Public health officers, big city mayors, community and labour organizations are all calling for urgent action to legislate paid sick days.
The evidence shows paid sick days are effective at curbing transmission of infectious disease, including COVID-19.
- Yet, 58% of workers across Canada have no paid sick days, and that jumps to over 70% of low income workers
- Even 75% of workers in the service sector, including food services, and 50% in health & social services sectors where risk of exposure is highest, have no paid sick days
- No one should have to choose between staying home sick & paying the bills
- Black, Indigenous, and workers of colour are over-represented in low-wage, frontline work & are most at risk of becoming infected
- We hear a lot about thanking essential workers, but why is the government not protecting them with paid sick days?
Who to call
Let’s call our elected representatives to demand paid sick days now!
- Labour Minister Monte McNaughton: 416-326-7600
- Premier Doug Ford: 416-325-1941 (Premier's office) and/or 416-745-2859 (Constituency office)
- Health Minister Christine Elliott: 416-327-4300
- Long-term care Minister Merrilee Fullerton: 613-599-3000
- Education Minister Stephen Lecce: 416-325-2600
- To find your own Member of Provincial Parliament: https://www.ola.org/en/members (click the link, then scroll down the page to type in your postal code.)
(Feel free to change it up and make it your own!)
Hello, my name is _______. I am calling from ________.
It is clear we need permanent, legislated paid sick days for all workers in this province. Public health officers, big city mayors, community and labour organizations all understand the urgency of legislating paid sick days.
Fortunately the necessary legislation has already passed first reading. Bill 239 will provide workers with 7 paid sick days and an additional 14 paid sick days during public health outbreaks.
There’s no more time to waste passing the buck to the federal government. The Canada Sickness Benefit is temporary and will never provide the protections we desperately need.
I am counting on you to do everything in your power to pass Bill 239. It needs all party support. You can make this happen.
We are doing our jobs. It’s time for you to do yours and legislate paid sick days immediately.
I expect a response. My phone number / email is: _______________ .
Ask a friend to do the same!
After you make your calls, consider phoning 5 of your friends or co-workers, to ask them to make similar calls. Share the url to this page with them, so they know what to do!
- Paid sick days fact sheet
- Paid sick days email petition
- Before it’s too late: Read the call to action report by health providers
For more information: