University of Ottawa
75 Laurier Ave E
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Google map and directions
PowerShift: Young and Rising presents an incredible panel of speakers that'll explore what a Green New Deal could look like in Canada.
The idea of a Green New Deal emerged in the United States years ago, but it wasn't until a movement of young people called the Sunrise Movement started demanding a Green New Deal that this idea has made it into the main stream, now being popularized by democratic superstars like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. A Green New Deal they say will put millions of people to work making a climate-safe economy.
And it's an idea that's not going unnoticed north of the border. Join us for a discussion with movement thinkers and organizers to discuss what an intersectional approach to an overhaul of our energy system can look like here in Canada.
- Clayton Thomas Muller, Indigenous rights defender and tar sands Stop It At The Source campaigner with 350.org
- Hussan Syed, a Toronto based activist with Migrant Workers Alliance
- Karen Cocq, labour activist at the Workers Action Centre and organizer with Fight for $15 And Fairness
- Tara Peel, Director of Health, Safety & Environment with the Canadian Labour Congress
- Mike Palecek, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers
The panel will be moderated by Avi Lewis, a documentary filmmaker and co-founder of The Leap